Sunday, June 13, 2010

Seeking God Through Creation



Sometimes God speaks through unusual subjects. Using the jawbone of a dead donkey is a good example. In my case, there are a few movies I can name that He has used to speak a novel's worth of insight. One is the Chronicles of Narnia, one is Amazing Grace, and another is Faith Like Potatoes. I know, it sounds like Veggie Tales. I promise it's not. The first time I watched this movie, God rattled several things I never noticed about myself. For one thing, I have been recently seeking more of the Holy Spirit. With the Holy Spirit, all things are possible. All things. And several weeks ago, during a church sermon, our associate pastor said something along the lines of "And if you were sitting out on your front porch during that thunderstorm on Wednesday, you are probably seeking more of the Holy Spirit!"
Guess who was sitting on her front porch that Wednesday afternoon?
That's right.
Me.

"It was when I was happiest that I longed most... The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing... to find the place where all the beauty came from." -- C.S. Lewis

Anyway, the first time I sat there watching the movie, God specifically talked to me about beauty. I already knew He is the source of all beauty because He Himself is beauty. All the beauty in the world is a reflection of Him, sort of like a pond reflects the moon. It is an imperfect reflection, as we live in a fallen world, but through the waves and the algae, we can see it.

"The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust in them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing... If they are mistaken for the thing itself, they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshippers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only a scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited." -- C.S. Lewis



I have asked myself many a time recently why some rather random things have captivated my attention while I have failed to seek God. This last year or two has been a time where I could really seek Him more and it would do a world of good. And yet, I have met a facination with thunderstorms, rain, fire, roses, peacock feathers, stars, eyes, spider webs, and butterflies. Strange assortment, right? Well, God pointed out that I have been seeking Him through these things. After all, art reflects its creator. Have you ever realized how passionate fire is? The way it's relentless, consumes all as if it were starving? Has it ever occurred to you how perfect it is that when crops need water, rain falls out of the sky? Has thunder ever struck you as ominous and mighty? Roses, with their rich aroma, are charming and beautiful. Spider webs are delicate, intricate, invisible, and purposeful. The eye complex and attention-grabbing.  Peacock feathers are similarly complex, beautiful, and deliberate. Stars are vast and glorious. Butterflies, perhaps a metaphor for Christians, start as worms and, after a difficult and painful metamorphosis, become the butterfly you see flying across your garden. And you know what's funny? These things have been popping up a lot, like reminders. We have actually had a male peacock in all his colors strut up our street one day. A peacock feather popped up in a flower basket at church. Someone walks by with rose perfume. And if you have ever read The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald, you can imagine the surprise I got in a chapter somewhere near the middle. If you have not read it, I recommend it. One can even see His various attributes through music, as I mentioned in a previous post. Perhaps the platypus is His sense of humor. What does a kitten say about Him? What about the river? Wild horses?

"It is curious that I remember well time when the thought of the eye made me cold all over, but I have got over this stage of the complaint, and now small trifling particulars of structure often make me very uncomfortable. The sight of the peacock's tail, whenever I gaze it, makes me sick!"-- Darwin, Charles correspondence 8, 140pp


And now I will take a moment to possibly creep out any of my friends who read this blog: The best reflection of God is when people love one another. I always enjoy watching how friends act around one another. When one team mate helps another up, or moreover, helps the opposite team member to his feet. The effect a simple clap on the back has on a solemn teen. Words spoken to a wallflower. I love noticing these things, because they are a glimpse of our Creator.




Genesis 1, Genesis 2, Psalm 19, Psalm 29, Psalm 139, Isaiah 42:5, Isaiah 40:12, Isaiah 42:9-10, Isaiah 65:17-25, Mark 4:37-41, John 1:1-5, Romans 1:20-23 and 25, Romans 8:22-23, Colossians 1:15-20, 2 Corinthians 5:17, Revelation 4:11, Revelation 21:1-5, Revelation 22:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment